City commissioners need to push hard for a high-speed rail stop in Lakeland when they meet at 1 p.m. today with a representative of Brightline, the company planning an Orlando-to-Tampa train route, Commissioner Justin Troller says. More
About Barry Friedman
Posts by Barry Friedman:
Steven Schelmety, 32, was shot and killed at an auto repair shop around 11:30 p.m. Friday, according to Lakeland police. His wife told News Channel 8 he was sitting at his desk and she was nearby. A person police would not identify was wounded in the incident at Artillery Motor Sports, 3609 Century Blvd., in an industrial area across Drane Field Road from Lakeland’s airport. About 30 bullet holes were counted at the business’ entrance.
The city of Lakeland will continue limited spraying to control invasive plants in lakes even as a temporary moratorium halts the bulk of herbicide use in Lakeland lakes, city commissioners were told this morning. More
- A Lawton Chiles Middle School sixth-grader refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.
- A substitute teacher criticized him for his action and the argument escalated.
- School officials say the student made threats, and he was arrested on charges of disruption and resisting arrest.
- The student’s mother wants charges dropped.
- School district officials say the substitute teacher wasn’t aware that students can opt out of the pledge and she won’t be teaching at Polk schools any longer.
- Details at Bay News 9
Deputy County Administrator Joe Halman and Polk Fire Rescue Chief Tony Stravino defended their crews this morning in a news conference about the events surrounding the death of Loretta Pickard, 76, in a house fire on Rockridge Road. Here’s full video from their news conference:
More coverage: News Channel 8 | Fox 13 News followup | ABC Action News | Bay News 9 | The Ledger
Supporters of LkldNow invested in community journalism to the tune of $27,012 in two months at the end of 2018 as the national NewsMatch campaign raised $7.6 million from individual donors and a coalition of major funders for nonprofit news organizations. More