A & E
Music highlights include tonight’s Jazz Orchestra Concert at Harrison School for the Arts and a seven-band “Rockin’ for Toys for Tots” Sunday 2-10 p.m. at Ybor Lounge Live. Bands include The Brimer Trio, Most Wanted, Sgt. Shredder, Power Surge, Velvet Jones, Cross Traxx and Almost D.S.P., a collaboration of Almost There and the Dan Signor Project. More listings after the jump:
A pair of duos in Dixieland Saturday night sound interesting. At 6:30, Hillcrest Coffee hosts Rebecca Ryals, who sings about growing up on a south Florida cattle farm, with John Bois, bassist with the Australian folk-rock group The Dingoes. Jon Corneal and his band also play. A few blocks south at 8 p.m., The Pink Piano showcases Tampa harpist Seth Lynn and Lakeland pianist Erik Maleki.
Check more listings after the jump:
“Running Down a Dream: A Live Tribute to Tom Petty” was presented to a sold-out audience at LkldLive Thursday night. Musicians on “American Girl” included Craig Morby, vocals, Shane Lawlor, acoustic guitar and backing vocals, David Brimer, lead guitar, Derrick Dietrich, bass, and Marcus McCants, drums. See the full concert after the jump.
Tonight’s Tom Petty tribute at LkldLive has sold out, but there’s plenty of other music highlights this weekend:
- The guitar concert at Harrison School for the Arts tonight features sounds from Bach to Led Zeppelin.
- Hear Jazza-Nova, Patty Kenoly, Fount, Brian Sutherland, and Bully For You Saturday at The Big Event at Lake Mirror.
- Glass House Point rocks LkldLive Saturday night. Brightside and Babyblu open.
- ’90s house/club hitmakers C+C Music Factory has re-formed and plays Masons Live Saturday night.
First things first. Check out the calendar at the bottom of this post. There are more live music choices in Lakeland this weekend than I’ve seen before. Some highlights:
- The really big show in town this week is the return of Lynyrd Skynyrd to the RP Funding Center on Saturday. Their last gig here was 40 years ago, just two days before three band members died in a plane crash. This is one concert where you can shout “Free Bird” without irony.
- Art + Music at the Polk Museum of Art Friday night features Thoth, Patty Kenoly, Jason Baker, Conner Lockhart and Paul Catala.
- Art Crawl in Munn Park Saturday showcases musicians from noon to 3 p.m.: Patty Kenoly, Lauren Mullenax, Emilie Weiss and Brett Blondell, and Jess Kostella.
- Folkies might want to check Tampa Bay favorite Rebekah Pulley with Robert Pastore at an Among Friends Music house concert Saturday night.
It’s a good weekend to hear local acts. Take Saturday night. You can hear Jon Corneal and John Frinzi at Hillcrest Coffee, Dean Johanesen at Brew Hub, Todd Edmonds at Masons Live, Philip Booth Music at Frescos, Brimer Trio at The Pink Piano, 22N and Pickup Artist at Ybor Live, Chris Clarke Trio at Lakeland Loft or Dan Signor Project at Molly McHugh’s. See more listings after the jump.