She was one of the speakers at a news conference following a Chamber of Commerce-sponsored “Nod to Nonprofits” tour to acquaint members with the work of LVIM, formed in 2001 to provide free medical care to the working uninsured of Polk County. (Learn more in Ledger coverage from the tour.)
Scenes from this morning’s announcement:
The 11th running of the Lakeland Derby takes place April 27 at Lake Mirror with gates opening at 5:30 p.m. The free event, which attracts 4,000 people yearly, will include live music, fireworks, kids activities and three paddleboat races:
- A sponsors race between teams representing the event’s corporate sponsors.
- A youth-oriented race pairing high school students and staff members.
- The Leaders of Polk race involving the 10 teams that will compete to raise the most funds for the event.
The Lakeland Derby is the major annual fund-raising event for LVIM, an organization that relies on donations and grants. It receives no federal funds, Development Director Alice Koehler said at today’s announcement.
Sponsors include Publix Super Markets Charities, Rooms to Go Foundation, Junior League of Greater Lakeland, Harrell’s, Sanlan RV and Golf Resort and Southern Homes.
Teams and team leaders announced so far include:
- Team Loud Mouth Swans – Becky Troutman and Representative Sam Killebrew
- Team Hit Me Baby Swan More Time – Cindy Dykes Joyce and Steve Ledford
- Team Swantabulous – Lindsey Cope and Ricky Peacock
- Team Swanderful – Darcee Roberts and Clay Roberts
- Team The Federal Swan – Lori Brooks Bremer Long and Stuart Simm
- Team Where Swanning is a Pleasure – Hilary Stubock and Terrance White
- Team Elizabeth Clark Taylor and Gregory Fancelli
- Team Chad Langford
- Team Bartow Ford – Amy Sumerlin
Learn more about Lakeland Volunteers in Medicine:
A LkldTV video from last year’s “Silks and Swans” pre-Lakeland Derby event: