Lakeland’s Florida Dance Theatre joins with Casselberry’s Emotions Dance to present “The Hope Movement” performances aimed at raising awareness of cancer and benefitting Orlando Health’s UF Health Cancer Center. Two shows take place this weekend in Orlando, and a spring performance is planned in Lakeland | Learn more, get tickets
When asked what starting time would boost attendance at City Commission meetings, Lakeland Now readers overwhelmingly favored evening meetings. More
A year after the Lakeland City Commission changed the starting time of its twice-a-month meetings from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at least one commissioner wants to return to a morning start. More
Unwholly Bikes, a nonprofit that turns used bicycle parts into working bikes for students in need, has scheduled a Saturday grand opening for its workshop at 925 E. Rose Street.
- LALtoday presents information on ways people in Lakeland can help Hurricane Dorian victims in the Bahamas and elsewhere.
- So does The Ledger.
- WFLA radio talks with Lakeland pilot Gary Coxe about his work with Angel Flight to ferry relief supplies from Lakeland Linder Airport to the Bahamas | Listen to the interview
- Sun ‘n Fun is collecting relief materials and flying them to the Bahamas, Fox 13 News reports.
- Drop off goods from 3 to 7 p.m. today and Friday at Linsters and Harbor Freight on U.S. 98 to be taken by boat to the Bahamas.
- Publix Super Market Charities is donating $250k to the American Red Cross and United Way for hurricane relief, according to a news release.
- RELATED: The Lakeland-based NOAA Hurricane Hunters took some reporters to view Dorian from aloft. Check reports from Tampa’s News Channel 8 and WUSF-FM.
As Hurricane Dorian approaches Florida, the brewmasters at Swan Brewing replaced beer in one of their huge tanks with drinking water for people who might need it.
Top honorees tonight at Lakeland’s inaugural Athena Awards included Ana Wood (leadership award), Laura Lear (young professional) and Top Buttons (organization).
The Athena Awards, a collaboration between the Lakeland Chamber of Commerce and the Junior League of Greater Lakeland, recognize women leaders who have made significant accomplishments and enhanced the community. More
Lyric Ross, who plays the role of “Deja” on NBC’s “This Is Us” will be in Lakeland Saturday at 10 a.m. for a meet-and-greet event at One More Child, a division of Florida Baptist Children’s Homes. More
Giveaways at this year’s Summerpalooza event (10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the RP Funding Center; sponsor: New Beginnings High School) will include free shoes provided by the Blended Family Foundation, established by Tony and Lisa Kirk to honor the memory of their son Kalen.
LEARN MORE: Summerpalooza | Blended Family Foundation | Ledger preview