It’s spring, so new sculptures are sprouting again along Lemon Street downtown. Most of the 2016 sculptures have been installed, and the last one is scheduled to go up on Monday.
As in the past, the 10 sculptures span the wide, shady promenade that runs along Lemon between Florida and Massachusetts Avenues.
Judging (Officially, this is a competition) occurs in two phases:
- Holly Keris, chief curator of the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens in Jacksonville, will make her selections Thursday for awards: best in show, $3,000 prize; second place, $1,200;. honorable mention, $500.
- Members of the public will get their say in balloting for the People’s Choice Award, which has a $500 prize, during the April 1 First Friday.
Here’s a list of the sculptures and their artists, starting with the one at the corner of Florida Avenue and moving east to Massachusetts Avenue:
1. OK Buoy – Roger Halligan
2. Swirling Doodle – Wesley Stewart
3. Woman with Child – Michael Russell
4. Native Homage – Jason Smith
5. Whisper Bench – Jim Gallucci
6. Another Man’s Treasure – Jason Smith
7. Meditation Bench – Glenn Zweygardt
8. Motion #1 – Hanna Jubran
9. Creamsicle – Robert Coon
10. Plenum Orb – Donald Gialanella
Companion outdoor sculpture exhibits are being installed in Sebring and Bonita Springs.