Keep up with Lakeland.
Get your local news delivered right to your inbox. Each Thursday, you’ll receive the latest news, and a preview of weekend events.
Art Crawl, an outdoor festival in its seventh year, will showcase the work of 70 artists from 25 Central Florida cities at Munn Park on Saturday.
While some art festivals might overlook certain artists for their style, subject matter or medium — even their lack of a professional setup — Art Crawl views the artist through a different lens.
If the artwork shows a clear voice, originality, quality, skill and dedication, Art Crawl works with the artist for entrance into the festival, subsequently encouraging up-and-coming artists “where they are” and helping them build toward their goals, said Ellen Chastain, the festival’s founder.
“Art Crawl was designed to spotlight emerging artists, performers, area art organizations, and grassroots art movements that may not have fit the common tradition of art or art festivals in the area,” she said.
Learn about the artists here. Chastain said some of the artists who use media not typically represented at festivals include:
- Paul O’Neill of Lake Wales offers simple pieces that focus on people and places using nontraditional materials, like cardboard.
- Nicholas Ribera of St. Petersburg creates what he calls “Aesthetic Dadaism,” which he claims looks cool but has no meaning.
- Rachelle Eason of Lakeland will exhibit her works that are crafted from clay and feature the technique of “plant-staining.”
From its start as an outreach program, Art Crawl has developed as a nonprofit hosting a yearly art festival and providing year-round programming, such as professional development for emerging artists and co-hosting art exhibitions across the county.
“Currently, Art Crawl is the only art festival in the area celebrating specifically the emergence of local artists and art organizations while simultaneously pushing for growth, art education and advocacy,” Chastain said.
It’s not only art on display and for sale. Art demonstrations and a full lineup of live performances feature the indie rock band Oxford Noland, chillhop band Space Panda, performance artists With Love Productions, Inc., and dance performances by FrediDance Project and others.
The performance schedule:
- 9:30 a.m.: Dun Du Dole / Jai Hinson African Dance
- 9:45 a.m.: FrediDance Project Dos Gardenias Latin Contemporary
- 10:15 a.m.: FrediDance Project Solo Contemporary & FrediDance Project Summer Intensive Scholarship Announcement / Bitter Earth Contemporary Solo
- 10:30 a.m.: Fredi Dance Project Youth Ensemble Scissorhands / Ultimate Dance Center Holiday Extravaganza: KidnapSandy CLAUS
- 10:45 a.m.: KR3TS Hip Hop / Saffera Belly Dance
- 11 a.m.: Anisette Mayer – music
- 11:30 a.m.: Space Panda (Britt Mathis) – music
- Noon: Shae Kripinsky – music
- 12:30 p.m.: Dance performances by With Love Productions
- 1:15 p.m.: Oxford Noland – music
- 2:30 p.m.: DJ Jenks
- 3 p.m.: ArtCrawl 2019 Awards
- 3:30 p.m.: DJ Jenks
Art Crawl is Nov. 2 at Munn Park, rain or shine, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parking is available on all city lots and side streets. The event is free.
Learn more: artcrawlfl.com
SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org