A bungalow-turned-coffee-shop, an urban residence with a balcony on Munn Park and a mammoth Florida Boom building restored to its former glory were among structures recognized by Historic Lakeland Inc. Monday night. The organization also gave a lifetime achievement award — only its second ever — to city planning chief Jim Studiale. Check below for then-and-now photos of the winning homes and businesses.

The audience at the Polk Theatre gave a standing ovation when Historic Lakeland’s John White announced the award marking Studiale’s expected retirement as the city of Lakeland’s community development director.

Jim Studiale

Studiale, 64, joined Historic Lakeland when it was formed in 1979 and served as its president twice. He was at lauded at Monday’s award ceremony for his role in closing Lemon Street to restore the Frances Langford Promenade around Lake Mirror.

White also praised Studiale’s perseverance in helping save the buildings that now house the Terrace Hotel, Lake Mirror Tower, Lawton Chiles Middle Academy and the Lakeland Fire Department’s headquarters on Lake Mirror.

White also announced several awards given for preservation of homes and businesses in Lakeland and thanked city preservationist Emily Foster for assembling the photos, seen below, showing the winning structures.

Commercial Preservation Awards

carpenters home

Carpenters and Joiners Home
771 Carpenters Way
Lake Gibson Village, Renee Tucker, CEO and the late Doug Cook
Building rehabilitation

carpenters home



Tudor House – Cob & Pen Restaurant
1221 S. Florida Avenue
Gregory Fancelli
Historic building relocation and rehabilitation, new addition


Hillcrest Coffee; W. A. Seamon House (1925)
119 Hillcrest Street
Brian and Christine Goding
Building rehabilitation

lake mirror

New Florida Hotel
130 S. Massachusetts Avenue
Lake Mirror Apartments/Broadway LMT LLC
Arched window restoration

Commercial honorable mention

roberts academy

Roberts Academy
1140 Frank Lloyd Wright Way
Florida Southern College
Compatible addition

Residential preservation awards


Raymondo Building
115 N. Kentucky Avenue
Patricia Landreth
Building rehabilitation; conversion of 2nd floor into residence

charles street

Mrs. Edna Swearingen House (1925)
518 E. Charles Street
Brian and Julie Hasson
Repainting, repairs to house and garage

college avenue

J. E. O’Steen House (1923)
739 College Avenue
Don and Neppie Alexander
Porch restoration

Residential honorable mentions

lake avenue

W.P. Pillans House (1923; 210 S. Lake Ave)
118 S Lake Avenue
Christopher & Deloris Franklin
General improvements

success avenue

Hanford B. Betts House (1945)
1043 Success Avenue
Brian Lee
House rehabilitation; repainting; repairs to detached garage apartment

lexington street

Dr. Benjamin Moon House (1917)
828 Lexington Street
Kristina & Chris Jesse
Repainting; rehab work

comanche trail

Grove House; Brian H. Wilson House
1714 Comanche Trail
Mary Pruitt

lemon street

J.E. Mims House (1925)
841 W. Lemon Street
Freddie L. Mitchell

osceola street

New houses at 807 & 809 Osceola Street
Kevin Doddy/Don B Construction
New single-family houses; compatible infill

SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: newstips@lkldnow.com


Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.

Barry Friedman founded Lkldnow.com in 2015 as the culmination of a career in print and digital journalism. Since 1982, he has used the tools of reporting, editing and content curation to help people in Lakeland understand their community better.

Leave a comment

Your Thoughts On This? (Comments are moderated; first and last name are required.)