An overnight fire damaged Texas Cattle Company, a popular restaurant at 735 E. Main St. on the east shore of Lake Mirror.
Lakeland Fire Chief Doug Riley said the fire, which started around 1 a.m., “did a significant amount of damage to the outside of the building and it got up into the roof a little bit.” Investigators are still trying to determine the case, he said. No injuries were reported.
Clark Woodsby, a member of the family that has owned the restaurant for 50 years, told Fox 13 News they hope to re-open in three weeks. Most of the interior damage was in the kitchen, but it also affected a manager’s office and half a dining room, he said.
Firefighters got there quickly — the downtown station is next door; they had to contend with propane tanks and a compromised gas line and got the fire control in two and a half hours, ABC Action News reported.
Investigators determined that the fire was accidental. “Probable cause is from routine maintenance of the grill involving the removal of the embers. The area of origin is beside the south side kitchen rear exit door,” the Lakeland Fire Department said in a Facebook post.
SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org