A candy-and-sweets shop is leaving its brick-and-mortar home downtown for life on the road as a food truck. The storefront at 115 S. Kentucky Ave. where Got Candy and More has operated since 2011 will become home to a cake-decorate business, according to a news release issued today.
#TBT It's strawberry time! Lakeland's long history with this juicy fruit includes cultivation and transportation. Marketing with crate labels served to draw attention to not only the product but to the place as well. This label, featuring the beautiful Lake Mirror Promenade and Civic Center, helped to promote the City of Lakeland. . . . #Strawberries #throwbackthursday #cratelabels #lakemirror #promenade #vintageadvertisement #vintageart #vintage #retroart #florida #Lakeland #civiccenter #transportation #LakelandHistory #SpecialCollections #LakelandHistoryRoom
A post shared by Larry Jackson (@lakelandpubliclibrary) on
When built in the 1920s, the Lake Mirror loggia and promenade were known as the Civic Center.
La Imperial Bakery opened today at 830 E. Main Street under a bright yellow sign that marks the eastern approach to downtown Lakeland. Mayor Bill Mutz welcomed Executive Chef James Lazaros and Administrator Aida Lazaros during a ribbon-cutting ceremony this afternoon. The cafe/bakery is open 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. The menu features breakfast items, fritters, sandwiches and entrees.
Plans are emerging for Mirrorton, the newly unveiled name for a high-end rental development planned for the vacant 10-acre site north of Lake Mirror and east of Lakeland Police headquarters. The company developing 305 multi-story apartments and townhouses there has released two drawings showing their vision for the community’s design. (Check the renderings after the jump.)
The building on Main Street near Florida Avenue has been vacant in recent years (see recent photos). Lohr, 83, bought it in 1967 and says a resurgence in downtown investment makes this the right time to restore his building, which downtown history experts say was built around 1925.