A LkldNow fan checked our live music calendar this morning and exclaimed on Facebook: “If you like live music in local venues, you are in Heaven in Lakeland, FL. The lineup this weekend is crazy good! Uber time.” For me, some highlights include Ukelele Night at Red Door Lakeland tonight and three Saturday events: an all-day 20th anniversary celebration at Music Ranch, the classic rock/aerial acrobatics Roque Cirque at Polk Theatre and a Green Day tribute at LkldLive. Your mileage may vary. The live music calendar follows: More
A & E
Guitars, acoustic and electric, will be chiming this Labor Day weekend. Some highlights, followed by our full calendar:
- Nashville-based country singer/recording artist Jo Smith will have a Dixieland kind of weekend. She’s at Hillcrest Coffee tonight and Patio850 Friday.
- Southern rock fans can hear an acoustic set by Southern Legacy Band Friday at the grand opening of The Beatnik Exchange and Luka Blue Vintage in Highland City. On Saturday, Swan Brewing celebrates Labor Day with an evening set by Avon Park’s Bluebird Anthem in an event they’re calling Blue Collars and Brews.
- LkldLive hosts an acoustic showcase headlined by Richard Sherfey Friday and the return to Lakeland of indie-pop project Willix with opener Bella Pierce (check her recent Lakelander live set) on Saturday.
Florida Southern College film students worked alongside movie professionals when they played major behind-the-camera roles in a film shot in Lakeland last month. “My Florida Home” is a psychological drama written and directed by Matthew Herbertz, who launched a film studies concentration for communications majors at FSC last year | About the film | About the writer/director
Have guitar, will travel. This week’s theme: Florida guitar slingers we rarely see in Lakeland. They include Gainesville’s Shawn Manley at Swan Brewing tonight, Orlando’s Steve Hogie Duo at Brew Hub Friday, Jacksonville’s Buster Cousins/Tim Kelliher at Hillcrest Coffee Saturday, Saint Cloud’s Folk Hill Revival at Swan Brewing Saturday, Dade City’s Uncle Ray Band at Federal Bar Saturday, and Tampa jazz guitarist Scott Murley at Lakeland Loft on Saturday. Check the full music calendar after the jump. More
- Entertainment entrepreneur Gus Palas announced that the new La La LAND Wine, Beer, Liquors & Lounge at S. Florida and Oppitz is booking musicians, mostly solo and duo acts. So, yep, Lakeland is still getting new live music venues, as we noted last week. | See his post
- Clothier Abdiel Gonzalez, who writes for The Lakelander, crowd-sourced an article he’s working on. He wants to identify “local musicians ‘on the rise’ that we should all know about.” He’s gotten plenty of suggestions (and it makes interesting reading to see how much young talent lives here), but I’m sure he’d take more | See his post
As usual on Thursdays, keep scrolling for our live music calendar. More