Keep up with Lakeland.
Get your local news delivered right to your inbox. Each Thursday, you’ll receive the latest news, and a preview of weekend events.
The six candidates for Lakeland City Commission in the Nov. 5 election answered questions during a forum at today’s meeting of The Lakeland Rotary Club. The forum was moderated by Jack Lowman of Avon Leasing, a former president of the club. Topics included, in order:
- Whether the city should launch a broadband utility.
- Summit Consulting’s proposed eight-story office building and garage on the western shore of Lake Mirror.
- A planned “road diet” to reduce Florida Avenue from five lanes to three in Dixieland.
- Funding for homelessness programs.
- The city’s role in solving employment barriers: transportation, child care, affordable housing.
- Forgiving increases in Lakeland Regional Health’s lease payments to the city.
- Methods to make Lakeland more attractive to young professionals.
SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org