Update: Tuesday, 7:07 a.m.: With Hurricane Dorian’s track shifting away from the area, Polk County has downsized its emergency operations and is no longer planning to open shelters. Public schools are still closed Tuesday and Wednesday because of weather concerns, and other institutions will be closed in the early part of this week. Polk County is under tropical storm watch since winds are expected to reach into the eastern part of the county. Here’s our updated list:
- Polk County Public Schools: Closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Check for updates.
- Florida Southern College: Classes are cancelled through Friday. The campus reopens Wednesday, and on-campus athletic events will resume. Check for updates.
- Polk State College: Closed through Wednesday, along with its collegiate high schools. Check for updates.
- Southeastern University: Classes canceled through Thursday. Check for updates.
- Florida Polytechnic University: Classes suspended Tuesday. Check for updates.
- Keiser University: On break; students will receive daily emails. Check for updates.
- Private Schools: All Saints Academy and Resurrection Catholic School mirror Polk School Board closings during emergencies. We’ll post other school information as we get it.
- City of Lakeland facilities: closed Tuesday. This includes offices, parks, Cleveland Heights Golf Course, cemeteries and libraries.
- Lakeland City Commission has moved its Tuesday meetings to Thursday: 1 p.m. Utility Committee; 3 p.m. City Commission; 6 p.m. budget hearing
- Polk County government offices will be closed Tuesday. All Board of County Commissioners facilities, Supervisor of Elections offices, Property Appraiser, Clerk of Courts and Tax Collector facilities will be closed.
- Polk County parks will close at dusk Sunday and campgrounds will close at 10 a.m.
- Lakeland solid waste: Services resume on Wednesday with the following schedule:
- Monday customers will be picked up on Wednesday
- Tuesday customers will be picked up on Thursday
- Thursday customers will be picked up on Friday
- Friday customers will be picked up on Saturday
- Polk solid waste: Residential service resumes Tuesday, and the North Central Landfill reopens Tuesday.
- Citrus Connection is suspending fixed route transit service until further notice to address medical needs of clients. More info: Regional Mobility Call Center, 534-5500. Also, transportation is being provided to emergency shelters. Details, maps
- Polk Museum of Art: closed Tuesday and Wednesday.