With high winds from Hurricane Matthew expected to hit Lakeland on Thursday evening, Polk public schools and other organizations are announcing closings and cancellations. Check our list below:
- Polk public schools will be closed Thursday and Friday, and athletic events are being cancelled or rescheduled.
- Private and charter schools closing Thursday and Friday include McKeel Academy, All Saints Academy, Lakeland Christian School, Victory Christian Academy, Resurrection Catholic School, St. Paul Lutheran School and Solutions Academy.
- Polk State College is closing at 2 p.m Thursday, reopening at 8 a,m, Monday.
- Southeastern University classes are cancelled beginning 4 p.m. Thursday through the weekend. University offices are closed Friday. Also, soccer and volleyball matches are postponed.
- Florida Polytechnic University classes are canceled Thursday and the university is closed Friday.
- Florida Southern College is cancelling classes starting at 4 p.m. Thursday and all day Friday; the school website lists specific events that have been cancelled. Thursday’s performance of the musical “Murders of 1940” has been cancelled.
- Keiser University‘s Lakeland campus will be closed Thursday and Friday. Classes will resume Monday.
- WonderHere in downtown Lakeland is closed Thursday and Friday.
- Sandbags are available and can be filled at Polk County fire stations, including three near Lakeland: Sleepy Hill, 3030 Sleepy Hill Road; Crystal Lake, 2450 E. Main St.; and Mulberry, 900 N.E. 5th St.
- Polk County government will activate its Citizens Information Line Thursday at 7 a.m. Call (863) 401-2234.
- Lakeland Electric asks that power outages be reported to 863-834-4248. More info | Outage map and info
- City of Lakeland offices not involved in emergency services will be closed Friday.
- City of Lakeland parks will be closed Friday. Kelly Rec Center is closing at 6 p.m. Thursday and re-opening Saturday.
- City of Lakeland residential and commercial garbage collection on Friday has been rescheduled to Saturday.
- Lakeland libraries are closing at 6 p.m. Thursday and staying closed on Friday.
- Polk County emeregency shelters open at 1 p.m. Thursday. The one closest to Lakeland is at Teneroc High School, 4905 Saddle Creek Road.
- Polk County government offices close at 2 p.m. Thursday and remain closed Friday.
- U.S. Rep. Dennis Ross‘ local office is closed Thurday and Friday. The Washington office is open: 202-225-1252.
- Lakeland Code Enforcement hearing scheduled for Friday has been cancelled.
- Circle B Bar Reserve closes 2 p.m. Thursday, reopening Tuesday. No new campers are being accepted at county campgrounds, including Saddle Creek Park.
- The North Central Polk landfill closes at 4 p.m. Thursday and plans to reopen Saturday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Citrus Connection: All final departure times for Citrus Connection, Winter Have Area Transit, Lynx buses (Routes 416, 427 and 603) and paratransit trips will occur by 3:30 p.m. Thursday allowing passengers to complete their trip. Citrus Connection will be shutting down for the day at 6:30 p.m. and there will be no service Friday.
- First Friday in downtown Lakeland has been cancelled because of the high winds. It’s not being rescheduled since the Lake Mirror Classic takes place next weekend.
- The Lakeland Center’s Classic Albums Live “Physical Graffiti” concert scheduled for Friday has been postponed until Oct. 14. See details.
- The Polk Museum of Art will be closed Thursday and Friday, and its George Lowe lecture will be postponed.
- Downtown Farmers Curb Market will be closed Saturday.
- STILL PLANNED: Central Florida Speech and Hearing’s Mr. Central Florida is still on tonight at Sun ‘n Fun.
- Watson Clinic is closing all locations Friday.
- Boys and Girls Clubs are closed both days.
- Lakeland Business Leaders’ Friday Power Lunch has been rescheduled to Oct. 14.
- Lakeland YMCA facilities close Thursday at 4 p.m. In addition: After School Childcare, on-sight and at the school site, and VPK will be closed Thursday and Friday. Friday’s hours (dependent upon weather) will be as follows: Lakeland Family YMCA: open at 12 pm; Fontaine Gills Family YMCA: open at 3 pm; YMCA Par 3: Closed Friday, will open back up on Saturday
- The Juice Box north location will be closed Thursday and Friday; The Juice Box south location will close Thursday at 2 pm and remain closed through Friday.
- The NoBay ribbon cutting scheduled for Friday has been moved to Oct. 20.
The city of Lakeland has published this list of phone numbers:
General (7:30 am – 8:00 pm): (863) 834-9535
Outages/Emergencies: (866) 834-4248
Lakeland Fire Department
Non-Emergency: (863) 834-8200
Lakeland Police Department
Non-Emergency: (863) 834-6900
Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center (Hospital)
Main: (863) 687-1100
Polk County Emergency Management
TECO People’s Gas: Customer Service
Customer Service: (877) 832-6747
Gas Leaks/Emergencies: (877) 832-6747
Customer Service: (863) 834-9535
Broken Water Mains & Problems (M-F, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm): (863) 834-4248
After Hours/Weekends: (863) 834-4248
SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: email@example.com