Keep up with Lakeland.
Get your local news delivered right to your inbox. Each Thursday, you’ll receive the latest news, and a preview of weekend events.
With high winds from Hurricane Matthew expected to hit Lakeland on Thursday evening, Polk public schools and other organizations are announcing closings and cancellations. Check our list below:
- Polk public schools will be closed Thursday and Friday, and athletic events are being cancelled or rescheduled.
- Private and charter schools closing Thursday and Friday include McKeel Academy, All Saints Academy, Lakeland Christian School, Victory Christian Academy, Resurrection Catholic School, St. Paul Lutheran School and Solutions Academy.
- Polk State College is closing at 2 p.m Thursday, reopening at 8 a,m, Monday.
- Southeastern University classes are cancelled beginning 4 p.m. Thursday through the weekend. University offices are closed Friday. Also, soccer and volleyball matches are postponed.
- Florida Polytechnic University classes are canceled Thursday and the university is closed Friday.
- Florida Southern College is cancelling classes starting at 4 p.m. Thursday and all day Friday; the school website lists specific events that have been cancelled. Thursday’s performance of the musical “Murders of 1940” has been cancelled.
- Keiser University‘s Lakeland campus will be closed Thursday and Friday. Classes will resume Monday.
- WonderHere in downtown Lakeland is closed Thursday and Friday.
- Sandbags are available and can be filled at Polk County fire stations, including three near Lakeland: Sleepy Hill, 3030 Sleepy Hill Road; Crystal Lake, 2450 E. Main St.; and Mulberry, 900 N.E. 5th St.
- Polk County government will activate its Citizens Information Line Thursday at 7 a.m. Call (863) 401-2234.
- Lakeland Electric asks that power outages be reported to 863-834-4248. More info | Outage map and info
- City of Lakeland offices not involved in emergency services will be closed Friday.
- City of Lakeland parks will be closed Friday. Kelly Rec Center is closing at 6 p.m. Thursday and re-opening Saturday.
- City of Lakeland residential and commercial garbage collection on Friday has been rescheduled to Saturday.
- Lakeland libraries are closing at 6 p.m. Thursday and staying closed on Friday.
- Polk County emeregency shelters open at 1 p.m. Thursday. The one closest to Lakeland is at Teneroc High School, 4905 Saddle Creek Road.
- Polk County government offices close at 2 p.m. Thursday and remain closed Friday.
- U.S. Rep. Dennis Ross‘ local office is closed Thurday and Friday. The Washington office is open: 202-225-1252.
- Lakeland Code Enforcement hearing scheduled for Friday has been cancelled.
- Circle B Bar Reserve closes 2 p.m. Thursday, reopening Tuesday. No new campers are being accepted at county campgrounds, including Saddle Creek Park.
- The North Central Polk landfill closes at 4 p.m. Thursday and plans to reopen Saturday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Citrus Connection: All final departure times for Citrus Connection, Winter Have Area Transit, Lynx buses (Routes 416, 427 and 603) and paratransit trips will occur by 3:30 p.m. Thursday allowing passengers to complete their trip. Citrus Connection will be shutting down for the day at 6:30 p.m. and there will be no service Friday.
- First Friday in downtown Lakeland has been cancelled because of the high winds. It’s not being rescheduled since the Lake Mirror Classic takes place next weekend.
- The Lakeland Center’s Classic Albums Live “Physical Graffiti” concert scheduled for Friday has been postponed until Oct. 14. See details.
- The Polk Museum of Art will be closed Thursday and Friday, and its George Lowe lecture will be postponed.
- Downtown Farmers Curb Market will be closed Saturday.
- STILL PLANNED: Central Florida Speech and Hearing’s Mr. Central Florida is still on tonight at Sun ‘n Fun.
- Watson Clinic is closing all locations Friday.
- Boys and Girls Clubs are closed both days.
- Lakeland Business Leaders’ Friday Power Lunch has been rescheduled to Oct. 14.
- Lakeland YMCA facilities close Thursday at 4 p.m. In addition: After School Childcare, on-sight and at the school site, and VPK will be closed Thursday and Friday. Friday’s hours (dependent upon weather) will be as follows: Lakeland Family YMCA: open at 12 pm; Fontaine Gills Family YMCA: open at 3 pm; YMCA Par 3: Closed Friday, will open back up on Saturday
- The Juice Box north location will be closed Thursday and Friday; The Juice Box south location will close Thursday at 2 pm and remain closed through Friday.
- The NoBay ribbon cutting scheduled for Friday has been moved to Oct. 20.
The city of Lakeland has published this list of phone numbers:
General (7:30 am – 8:00 pm): (863) 834-9535
Outages/Emergencies: (866) 834-4248
Lakeland Fire Department
Non-Emergency: (863) 834-8200
Lakeland Police Department
Non-Emergency: (863) 834-6900
Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center (Hospital)
Main: (863) 687-1100
Polk County Emergency Management
TECO People’s Gas: Customer Service
Customer Service: (877) 832-6747
Gas Leaks/Emergencies: (877) 832-6747
Customer Service: (863) 834-9535
Broken Water Mains & Problems (M-F, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm): (863) 834-4248
After Hours/Weekends: (863) 834-4248
SEND CORRECTIONS, questions, feedback or news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org