A grieving mom thanks Lakeland-based FHP staffers for their compassion … Obituary: Tanya Comparetto Friel, former president of Lakeland Bar Association, dies at 55 … That “rain-slicked devil named El Niño” is the main threat to renovating Joker Marchant Stadium by spring training … A CSX train hits a truck hauling new cars
- Responding to a Lakeland mother’s request, a Polk School District committee recommends 10-20 minutes of recess daily for grades K-2 and 50-80 minutes weekly for grades 3-5.
- Polk County is unlikely to follow Lakeland’s lead in relaxing Sunday alcohol restrictions. Commissioner Ed Smith: “If I had my way, I’d bring back Prohibition.”
- Two citrus industry leaders, including Lakeland’s Jim Horrisberger, died in a helicopter crash in Nicaragua.
- A block north of downtown that used to house the Salvation Army is being transformed into an artists’ colony, shared commercial kitchen space and housing for urban pioneers.
- Lakeland resident Bob Behr, who holds a doctorate in agricultural economics, is taking over as CEO of Florida’s Natural Growers.
Fire: Finding two gas cans in the bedroom of a mobile home that burned Wednesday, officials are investigating the fatality there as a suicide.
Burt Reynolds: The 79-year-old actor, in town to sign autographs at an auto show, recalled his first trip to Lakeland as a football player with Palm Beach High School. (They beat the Dreadnaughts, he said.)