About Barry Friedman
Posts by Barry Friedman:
A Shells restaurant, part of a Tampa Bay chain of casual seafood eateries with entrees in the $10-$20 range, is coming to the South Florida Avenue location recently vacated by Manny’s Chophouse.
A year after the Lakeland City Commission changed the starting time of its twice-a-month meetings from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at least one commissioner wants to return to a morning start. More
It hasn’t been long since a run-down house was demolished along an alley in Dixieland. Developer Gregory Fancelli plans to place some two-story apartments there eventually. But for now, it’s home to a 30-foot long dragon, Dixieland’s newest resident. More
A Lakeland teen died and four others were injured Saturday night when the pickup truck they were in left I-4 near the I-75 underpass and flipped over. Stephanie Carroll died at Tampa General Hospital from her injuries, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Driver Ruben Ramirez, 17, suffered serious injuries, and passengers Tristen Green, 19; Kira Barclay, 17 and Raemond Ramirez, 16 sustained minor injuries, FHP said.
- Lakeland 55, Plant City 19 (Tampa Bay Times coverage)
- Lake Gibson 26, Auburndale 20 (OT)
- Bartow 28, George Jenkins 7
- Kathleen 51, Dover Strawberry Crest 6
- Lakeland Christian 49, West Palm Beach King’s Academy 7
- Victory Christian 35, Fort Meade 0
- Winter Park Lake Howell 30, Tenoroc 6
- Geneva Classical Academy 47, Tarpon Springs Solid Rock 12
- All Saints 42, St. Petersburg Shorecrest Prep 7
The city of Lakeland’s property tax rate will remain at $5.46 per $1,000 of assessed value, city commissioners decided Thursday in approving a $626.8 million budget. Boosted by a higher-than-expected dividend from Lakeland Electric and rising property values, the budget retains funding for downtown development incentives, affordable housing, a homelessness caseworker and design of a cultural history center at the main library.